World Bicycle Day is globally observed on 3rd June every year. United Nations General Assembly in the year 2018 decided to observe 3rd June as World Bicycle Day to promote the “uniqueness, longevity, and versatility” of the bicycle.
Every year thousands of bicycle owners organize group events to promote the use of bicycles for better health and lifestyle. Many people around the world call the bicycle just as cycles or bikes.
History Of World Bicycle Day
World Bicycle Day was first observed in the year 2018. Professor Leszek Sibilski of Montgomery College, United States of Sociology class, first penned down the idea to have a special day for bicycles. The reason for this idea was to make people aware of the never-ending benefits of bicycles.
Professor Sibilski then launched a campaign to make it a worldwide phenomenon. Professor then led a campaign to have a UN Resolution for World Bicycle Day. There was an extensive use of social media to spread the campaign globally and June 3 was selected as the ideal date for World Bicycle Day. The event gained support from 57 countries around the world and finally, the UN in April 2018 passed a resolution declaring June 3 as “World Bicycle Day.”
World Bicycle Day is meant to be enjoyed by all the people as a global holiday.
Celebration Across The World
In the year 2018 vice-president of India, Venkaiah Naidu flagged off an event in New Delhi where 5000 cycle enthusiasts participated in an 8km long event. It also paved the way for a bike-sharing system in the area of New Delhi.
In order to get back cycling in fashion, a big event was organized in New York that saw participation from multiple countries including Bahrain, Indonesia, Canada, Turkmenistan, and even India’s Ambassador to UN Syed Akbaruddin.
In the city of Bengaluru in Southern India, a new post was created – Cycle Mayor. First of its kind in India.
Benefits of Using Bicycles
- A study found out that the people who ride a bicycle helps them in reducing the stress. Also, the people who took a bicycle to their offices experience low stress as compared to those who took 4 wheelers
- Bicycling helps to reduce the risk of heart disease
- Promotes green environment
- Helps in creating great mood and positivity
- Helps to reduce the calories and boosts weight loss
- A study from Denmark found out that it helps to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Environmental friendly
- Helps in preserving non-renewable energy resources that are scarce
- Zero-emission of greenhouse gases and reduction in the carbon footprints