When India has much bigger problems to be faced such as fighting Coronavirus, poverty, unemployment, people are fighting over reviews on TikTok. There continues countrywide online protest against the Chinese app TikTok. Downgrading a certain app because of some petty issues has become a trump card for Indians.
The first victim of the mass negative rating was Snapdeal and then Snapchat. TikTok is the latest entrant whose rating went to as low as 1.2/5 on the play store. So why did TikTok’s rating increase?
Google Removes Millions Of TikTok Reviews
TikTok has been in the news for a while. Recently Google Play Store deleted over 8 million+ TikTok reviews. So what was the reason for the removal of TikTok reviews? To understand how TikTok’s rating increased, we must first understand how ratings on play store work:
This Is How Reviews Work
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app.
- Browse or search for the app that you want to review.
- Find and select the app to open the detail page.
- Scroll until you get to the reviews section.
- Select the number of stars. You can also tap Write a Review.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to write a review and add details.
- Tap Post.
After mentioning these 7 points, Google has clearly stated that to review any app, say TikTok, one must have previously downloaded and installed the said app. Millions of Indians have given 1* without knowing this fact. It is not something that Google has overnight changed its policy for reviews.
How TikTok’s Ratings Increased: A Timeline Of TikTok’s Reviews
- First, the genuine reviews for TikTok on Play Store were around 4.6
- After mass agitation online against the app, reviews started falling. It came below 4, 3, and 2*. It fell to as low as 1.6 to 1.2
- Google after checking the and deleting over a million reviews, increased the rating for TikTok from 1.2 to 1.6
- Google deletes over 8 million reviews. Reviews for TikTok, which are current ratings for TikTok at present on play store, touch 4.4 mark out of 5
It is also a fair part on the side of app developers that users have genuinely disliked the app and have given a low rating. This is something Google takes care of. Also, the main reason why TikTok’s ratings increased.
It should also be noted that Google allows you to rate app and comment on it in reviews if you dislike, without having an app installed in the first place. These things usually don’t last long. Ultimately Google deletes the rating given.